Healthy Fajita Bowl Recipe
If you’re a fan of my one pot burrito bowl recipe or Instant Pot chicken taco bowls, then these Mexican chicken fajita bowls are bound to be a hit. They have all of the flavors that you cognize and love about chicken fajitas, but are served over a bed of rice instead of in a flour tortilla.
It makes a great lunch or dinner and is packed with protein and veggies. Not only is it a healthy dinner idea, but it has become one of my favorite Mexican food recipes. I just love how fresh this dish tastes and the flavors are just great!
This meal is great for serving a family of picky eaters and is simple for each person to customize their own bowl. Serve with a few of your favorite toppings or tortilla chips. These chicken fajita bowls are definitely a modern favorite recipe!
Ingredients for Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Grains – The base of the fajita bowl starts with healthy cooked grains. We love the flavor that cilantro lime rice adds, but Mexican rice or cooked quinoa are also great options. This recipe is great to make when you have leftover Instant Pot rice to use up!
- Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breasts are marinated in olive oil, taco seasoning and lime juice to give the meat that authentic Mexican flavor. A homemade fajita marinade with fajita seasoning also works just as well.
- Fajita veggies – A mix of sliced red onion and bell peppers sautéed until tender and flavorful.
- Beans – Black beans are a favorite at our house, but pinto beans or refried beans are two other great options.
- Pico de Gallo – The bowls are finished off with some fresh pico de gallo on top. Fresh diced tomatoes will also work if you’re in a pinch!
Meal Prep Fajita Bowls
This dish is also a great meal prep idea for lunch or dinner. Once the ingredients have cooled, simply divide and layer the ingredients into 4 separate meal prep containers. I like to add the rice first, then top with the meat, veggies and beans. I usually put the pico de gallo and any other toppings in individual containers so they stay fresh. The meal prep fajita bowls will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Don’t forget the toppings! Below are a few of our favorites when serving this dish.
Yes! The rice and beans are filled with fiber and complex carbohydrates and the lean chicken breast is a good source of protein. Then there’s the fajita veggies and pico de gallo, which are both made with fresh vegetables and herbs. This dish is packed with good-for-you ingredients!
I’d recommend marinating the meat for at least 30 minutes. The longer it marinates, the more tender and flavorful your meat will be. You can marinate for up to 4 hours if you have the time.
More Easy Mexican Dishes
Chicken Fajita Bowl Recipe
Mexican chicken fajita bowls made with rice, seasoned chicken, fajita veggies, beans and pico de gallo. An simple lunch or dinner that’s healthy and packed with flavor!
- 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1/4 red onion , sliced
- 3 bell peppers , sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice , or quinoa
- 13 ounce can black beans , rinsed and warmed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
Cooking in oven: You can also place the chicken and bell peppers on a sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F (or until cooked through).
Optional add ins:
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 899mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3178IU | Vitamin C: 126mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 3mg